How to Setup Dynamic Product Ads
In this blog I’ll be going over what a dynamic product ad is and how you can set one up for your Google Ads account. You will only be eligible to run this type of ad if you have a shopping feed within the Google Merchant Center.
What is a dynamic product ad?
A dynamic product ad is a version of a responsive ad that shows products from your shopping feed as well as the regular your regular responsive ad images. These ads show in the Google Display Network. Google uses the product image link from the selected shopping feed and automatically rotates those images with the image selected for your responsive ad. The products can be displayed one at a time or as a group, with each product image linking to the product page denoted in the shopping feed. The price of the product can also be displayed in these ads.
Example of a dynamic product ad:
How to set up a dynamic product ad
In order to create a dynamic product ad you must be in a campaign that is targeting the Google Display Network.
First, you must go to the settings of a display campaign and open the dynamic ads section. This will prompt a section as pictured in the below example. Select the ‘use a data feed for personalized ads’ and then select your shopping feed in the ‘data feed’ section. If you do not have a shopping feed you must create one in the Google Merchant Center.
Once you’ve selected your shopping feed you can select advertise all products or filter for only specific products within your shopping feed. Then click save.
Once you made the necessary settings change the your responsive ads will begin to show images of your products as well. If you do not have any responsive ads in your campaign you must make one otherwise the dynamic product ad will not show.
Dynamic Product Ad Requirements
These are required fields for a dynamic product ad, these are responsive ads with the dynamic ad setting enabled at the campaign level.
- Short Headline (max 25 characters)
- Long Headline (max 90 characters)
- Description (max 90 characters)
- Business Name (max 25 characters)
- Final URL
- Landscape Image (1.91:1 ratio and greater than 600 x 314)
- Square Image (1:1 ratio and greater than 300 x 300)
- Text in the images cannot cover more than 20% of the image
How To Create a Custom Feed for Your Dynamic Product Ads
First you must log into your Google Ads account. Once you are logged in you can follow these steps and create a custom data feed to use with your dynamic product ads.
- Click the tools icon in the top right-hand corner of your screen.
- Under the section labeled “Setup” click Business data.
- From the Page menu on the left click Data feeds.
- Click the plus button and select Dynamic display ad feed, then select your business type.
- If you’d like to use a template feed, select Ad customizer data or Page feed to download a template CSV file. Learn more about feeds and business data.
- Click Choose file and attach your feed file.
- Click on Apply.
Once yuu’ve done this allow for up to 4 hours for Google to finalize the data and address any errors or issues with your upload.
After your feed is error free you will be able to select this data feed instead of your shopping feed and use it in your dynamic product ads.
Much like regular GDN ad types, dynamic product ads will have high impression volume but a lower click through rate when compared to search. When running a remarketing GDN campaign we saw that the DPA’s had similar CPC’s and conversion rates as our regular responsive ads. As always, we recommend testing the dynamic product ads out in their own campaign for 1-2 months against your regular responsive ads before making a decision to fully adopt the DPA’s.